Monday, July 5, 2010

On the Air

Apparently I was on the Chilean nightly news on Thursday.

Friday morning I was in the teachers' lounge at Duoc picking up my attendance book and signing in for the day when one of my Chilean colleagues said, "Megan, I saw you on TV last night. You were talking about the earthquake. Did it scare you a lot?" It took me a second to put two and two together and realize what she was talking about.

About a month and a half ago I was walking home from the gym, through a small park near my apartment. In the middle of the sidewalk there was some professional camera equipment set up. A young woman approached me and asked if I had time to answer a few questions about my experience of the earthquake. I told her that I wasn't Chilean and that my Spanish was far from perfect, but she assured me that they were interested in getting any and all perspectives, encouraged me to try my best with the Spanish, and ushered me to the chair in front of the camera. She interviewed me for about 15 minutes, asking questions about where I was when the earthquake happened, how I felt, what I remember most, and how it affected my life. She seemed pleased with my responses and my interview in general, and when we finished she told me that it would be airing on a program called La Liga at the end of June/beginning of July.

I had pretty much forgotten about the whole thing until Friday morning. The first chance I got I went on the internet to try to find the clip. No luck! And I only got more curious to see my Chilean television debut ;) as, throughout the day, about a dozen of my students also told me that they had seen it. If I manage to find it, I'll be sure to post it on here, as I'm sure it's pretty entretenido.

No comments:

Post a Comment