Sunday, March 28, 2010

Sundays in Santiago

Santiago on Sunday: I love it and at the same time I'm a little baffled by it. Every Sunday, my usually bustling neighborhood essentially becomes a ghost town. Traffic is non-existent, you can walk the sidewalks without having to bob and weave your way through the crowds, and 99% of the stores are closed. I walked around quite a bit today and the only things that were open were the supermarket, Starbucks, a couple of the big name pharmacies, and a few chain restaurants. Not even Castano, the bakery that is by far the most ubiquitous establishment in the city--think Starbucks times 10--pulls down the metal grate for a day of rest. I really like the feel of the city on Sundays, it's a lot less hectic, and great for strolling around. And because nothing's open, you're sort of forced to adopt the city's leisurely pace. But the American in me has to wonder, what are these businesses, especially the restaurants and coffee shops, thinking closing on Sundays? From a practical money-making standpoint it seems crazy. But you have to respect them for putting their need for rest and relaxation above the pursuit of profits. I do also think that Chileans do a lot less eating out on weekends--exactly the opposite of American dining out habits. Still, maybe I'll open up a coffee shop or restaurant that's open on Sundays and try to capitalize on the lack of competition...

No comments:

Post a Comment