Monday, August 23, 2010

Is it just me...

Or has Chile had it's share of media attention this year, and not for happy things? First the earthquake, and now this mining tragedy/miracle. It's incredible that all thirty three of the miners are still alive, but I can't help but think of how terrible and difficult the next four months will be for them, as teams work to get them out. What was really surprising to me was that it took me until I got back to Chile, ten full days after the accident occurred, to learn of it. I didn't hear or read anything about it in U.S. media sources until the news broke that the men were alive. I couldn't be happier that the story took the miraculous and positive turn that it did, but I wish that the U.S. had showed some interest even when the story wasn't so sensational.

No comments:

Post a Comment