Monday, April 12, 2010

Santiago's Strays: A Real Problem

Something that almost every American that comes to Santiago is bound to be shocked by are the stray dogs that are all over the city. Even more than the sheer size of the stray population, what's most unusual is the look and behavior of the dogs.

First of all, with a few exceptions, they are all pretty attractive, healthy looking dogs. You rarely see bones jutting out or mangy fur. On the contrary, I've seen a couple pups who's good looks would rival any purebred housepet. Just the other day I was running and, as often happens, a small pack started running along with me. Among the group was the most beautiful black lab I've ever seen, gorgeous light brown eyes and perfectly proportioned. It was all I could do not to lure her back to my apartment and keep her.

The second surprising thing is how street savvy they all are. No exaggeration, these dogs follow the crosswalk signals for pedestrians. And not just because they follow what the people do. I've seen a dog, alone at an intersection, patiently waiting for the green light so that he could cross safely.

With their apparent good health and clear mastery of city life, it's easy to shrug off Santiago's problem with strays. But really, it's just that: a big problem. For every dog that successfully crosses the street, another I'm sure gets hit by a car. Almost none of them are spayed or neutered, so they are constantly multiplying. And eating scraps off the streets and from garbage and other unseemly places is hardly a good diet for a dog.

So, as I was jogging along today, with my pals beside me--a mutt with one blue and one brown eye, and a coyote look alike--I started brainstorming what I could do about it. I definitely have some investigating to do, and being in a foreign country, I barely know where to start, but I'm going to try to ask around to some vets and friends in the know to see what kind of humane society exists here and whether there are any programs to help the strays. Let me know if you have any ideas!

No comments:

Post a Comment